Blog Archive

Thursday 24 December 2015

Life and Death: An Ultimate Experience and The Complete Adventure

Ideas and Opinions | Moose

So as you can see from Milos post below, I challenged the both of us to add a piece to the blog that is somewhat meaningful to life for us. I purposely left it vague with the intention that we tap into our creative minds, and just let the flow overtake us. To the point that we will be writing about something that the mind is passionate about in that moment.

I want to write about an idea that Miles presented in the most recent podcast about the lottery, where he suggested that you do not experience your birth or death. I am going to offer a different point of view, my opinion:

There are only two things to experience: Life and Death.

In my opinion, we experience our Birth, though we do not have the capacity to remember it or to understand the significance of that first breath of the clean air in the this world, or why we cry in that moment. But we still experience it.

We experience our death, though it is a solitary experience. In fact, in the moment of experiencing it, you are the only person that understands what that moment is like (because everyone who has felt it before is already devoid of life).

And it is this latter point that I want to talk about.

At the risk of this looking like a very depressing piece, I first need to make this one clarification:
'There is no life without death, that is a truth, but more significantly, there is no death without life.'

I will not deny that death is a scary experience. As a man that does not believe in an afterlife, I have before wondered, and been distressed about, what will happen to me when I die - something that is very natural for something as conscious as a human being. For me, it would be the equivalent of turning off the TV. A picture that was once so vibrant is now non-existent - which is probably not the best description that I could give, but it's the way I picture it in my head. And I will admit that it terrified me to some extent.

But then I slowly came to realise that death is just a part of life. That the most important thing to do is to just embrace and live life in a way that you enjoy. We should live life in a way that satisfies us, because reaching that end point having lived a life in which you were not truly expressive of who you are means that you have not truly taken advantage of the magnificent thing that you have been presented with: life.

If it makes us happy to go on walks and feeling the gentle, cold wind brush against our cheeks, and hearing the rustling of the trees in the distance, if that makes us feel alive, then we should live in that way without regrets.

Make sure you live in the way that you want to. Do not dream. Live these experiences.

If we do live this way, then when it does come to the end of our lives, and as we lay on our death bed, we can be satisfied, and live that final adventure of our lives: Our Death.

Though it is the final moment, it does not need to be the least enjoyable.

A part of me looks forward to laying there knowing that I am in my last moments, and looking back on my life at all the successes and failures of my life before drawing in that last breath of life, feeling that soft air collapse on its way down my throat, as my feeling of touch slowly starts to disintegrate, and my body becomes more and more weightless.

In that moment, and not before then, I truly believe that the magnitude of life will become more evident than at any other point since your birth.

Before that moment, though, we have to live.

There is no life without death, and there is no death without life.

Moose.

No comments:

Post a Comment